Oxford has a strong history of welcoming migrants. Greens are proud to live in such a city that is a living example of the energy immigration brings to communities. A vote for the Green Party is a vote to stand up to the scapegoating political elite.
The Green Party firmly believes immigration enhances our culture and diversity, benefits the economy, and improves our relationships with peoples around the world. We also believe the UK has a moral duty to offer refuge to all people seeking asylum.
The Green Party condemns other political parties that are blaming and scapegoating migrants for economic and social problems – problems caused by the government's failure to run the economy for ordinary people. We will stand up to UKIP, Tory, Labour and Lib Dem policies that would shut the door to migrants.
- Argued for the council to oppose measures forcing landlords to check immigration status of tenants.
- Been long standing supporters of Oxford City of Sanctuary, welcoming refugees and asylum seekers.
- £2500 to Oxfordshire Community and Voluntary Action to fund ‘English for Speakers of Other Languages’ (ESOL) places, to train volunteers, and to bring together organisations providing education and community groups working with people who need help.
- £2500 to Asylum Welcome to fund individual tuition and to establish a continuing fund to receive contributions for that purpose.
- £5000 to provide 5 days training for 25 people (Service Users, Carers and Voluntary Sector staff and volunteers) to understand Community Care rights law and to be able to advocate for others.
The Green Party will:
- Ensure that all council services and advice are able to meet the needs of migrants – including helping with accessing housing and benefits.
- Fund advice services to help new migrants to settle in, ranging from registering with the NHS to getting the paperwork needed to work.
- Campaign against the removal of legal aid from migrants, and support initiatives to continue providing legal assistance.
- Campaign to end the detention of asylum seekers.
- Campaign for asylum seekers to have the right to work – rather than being stuck with no wages and no benefits.
- Oppose the government's Immigration Bill that is set to force landlords to make residency checks and charge migrants to use the NHS.
- Support Oxford's status as a City of Sanctuary and provide further practical support towards this aim.
- Continue to support language classes to support migrants and the children of migrants.
Previous page Back to contents Next page
Be the first to comment
Sign in with