Larry Sanders is the Green Party candidate for the Summertown ward in the elections on 3 May.
Larry served as an Oxfordshire County Councillor for the Green Party for eight years until stepping down in 2013. He was also the Green Party candidate in the Witney by-election of 2016 following David Cameron's resignation, and the candidate for the Oxford East constituency in the General Election of 2017.
He grew up in Brooklyn, New York, with his brother Bernie Sanders who is the only openly socialist politician in the US Senate. Larry studied economics at CUNY, social work at Oxford and holds a law doctorate from Harvard.
Larry has lived in Oxfordshire since 1969. He has held a wide range of positions in the county that reflect his training in Law and Social Work, including:
- Chair and Legal Advisor to Oxfordshire Community Care Rights
- Lecturer in Health and Social Care Law at the Open University and Oxford Brookes
- Director of Oxfordshire Carers’ Forum
- Non-Executive Director of Oxfordshire Mental Trust
- Oxfordshire County Councillor and Member Adult Social Care Scrutiny Committee
- Chair Healthwatch Oxfordshire
- Member Advisory Group on Unsafe Discharges for Healthwatch England
- Co-Chair Oxfordshire Keep Our NHS Public
Larry is also currently the Green Party spokesperson on health.
More of Larry's views can be heard in this interview recorded in 2013 when he stepped down from Oxfordshire County Council: http://youtu.be/IzFdVfzrKvk