Alma Tumilowicz, nominated for PPC for Witney
Born in Shrewsbury, I spent the early part of my life in Manchester, trained to teach in Hertfordshire then was based back in Manchester while working as a Film Editor around the UK—mainly for the BBC and ITV. While working on a documentary series called ‘Eco’ at Central TV in Birmingham (1986) I became interested and aware of environmental issues & started recycling. I was a mature student at Manchester University. I moved to West Oxfordshire in 1991 to raise a family. I worked as a supply teacher and a Home Tutor for Oxfordshire County Council. Last year, I obtained a TESOL certificate.
I voted Green for many years because I agree with the party’s holistic approach to society and the environment. I joined the Green Party in 2010 becoming an active member. I attend monthly meetings in Witney, with the West Oxon Greens branch, help with canvassing, delivering newsletters and monitoring on polling day. I have also stood as a paper candidate on several occasions.
I think the main concerns of a Witney MP should be:
- Flooding—especially in areas around the Rivers Thames and Windrush.
- Future planning proposals—ensuring there isn’t planning permission granted on flood plains or districts with insufficient local infrastructure to absorb a large influx of people.
- To ensure rural communities are not in danger of loosing public transport.
- To ensure pot holes are repaired as quickly and efficiently.
- To ensure rural schools infrastructure is in good condition and that there sufficient resources provided - especially computers and I.T.
- To help local community initiatives such as ‘food banks,’ ensuring they have the premises and facilities they need.
- Play an active role in supporting the Witney Oxford Transport which is working for better transport between Witney and Oxford.
Research now shows that a more equal society is a fairer and happier one. It is my belief that the only political party committed to this aim is the Green Party. If elected, I would work towards achieving this goal by implementing the ideas mentioned above.