What we need to do now, by Chris Goodall.
June's Book will be "What we need to do now" by Chris Goodall. The session will be online, and Chris Goodall, the writer, will be there to present his ideas, and take questions from you, the readers.
Chris Goodall sets out the ways the UK can become carbon neutral by 2050. His proposals include:
- Building a huge over-capacity of wind and solar energy, storing the excess as hydrogen.
- Using hydrogen to fuel our trains, shipping, boilers and heavy industry, while electrifying buses, trucks and cars.
- Farming - and eating - differently, encouraging plant-based alternatives to meat
- Paying farmers to plant and maintain woodlands.
- Making fashion sustainable and aviation pay its way, funding synthetic fuels and genuine offsets.
- Using technical solutions to capture CO2 from the air, and biochar to lock carbon in the soil.
What We Need To Do Now is a short hardback book that offers a set of solutions to each of the main challenges posed by global heating. Of course it covers energy supply but also has chapters on housing, food, clothing and the main manufacturing problem areas, such as cement and steel. It finishes by looking briefly at the opportunities for direct capture of CO2 from air and the possible benefits and costs of tinkering with the reflectivity of the Earth’s atmosphere.WHENJune 05, 2020 at 8pmWHEREZoom online
Nicole Pohl answered 2020-01-28 16:57:41 +0000Q: Would you like any help in preparing for candidate selection?
A: Be matched with a mentor
Everyone who wants to stand in a council target ward, must complete this questionnaire. If you just want to get your name on the ballot paper so that voters can vote for the Green Party in your ward (a non-target candidate) you do not need to complete this questionnaire.
There are 15 questions in all, the first of which you see below. They cover eligibility, your selection statement, how much time you can contribute and what help you need from the party.
If you have any difficulties completing the questionnaire, email the Oxfordshire Green Party Elections co-ordinator with the same information, and any questions you have.Take the survey
Nicole Pohl wants to volunteer 2020-01-28 16:47:27 +0000
This is a call for candidates to stand for the Green Party at the 2021 elections to councils in Oxfordshire.
We need more Green councillors in Oxfordshire. Could you follow in the footsteps of our Green Party councillors in Oxford, and stand for election? You could improve the quality of our councils by representing the people and views that the governing parties ignore.
If you are at all interested in standing as a candidate, or helping organise a campaign for a candidate, please complete the form below, and the Elections Committee will get back to you with more details.
If you want any more information on what is involved in standing as candidate, please contact the Elections Co-ordinator, David Newman.
We are looking for both target candidates, who will work hard to win in May 2021, and non-target candidates who need to do as little as getting their name on the ballot paper so that people can vote everywhere for a Green Party candidate.Become a volunteer
@oddmentsandco tweeted link to Election day volunteer. 2019-05-20 09:56:13 +0100I signed up to volunteer for Oxfordshire Green Party. Join me! https://www.greenoxfordshire.com/election_day_volunteer?recruiter_id=813713
Let us know how you can best help on election day, 7 May 2020. Tasks include:
- Reminding people to vote:
- Knocking on the doors of people who said they will vote Green (“knocking up”).
- Telephoning people who said they would vote green.
- Helping in a committee room.
- Giving lifts to voters with mobility difficulties who are otherwise unable to travel their polling station
- Taking voter numbers at polling stations (“telling”)—many voters don’t make up their minds until they are in the polling booth. A Green rosette and a welcoming face can help persuade them. Key times include 7am-9.30am, and 5pm-8pm.
- Tallying the votes at the count, so we know where in the county there are more Green voters.
Please tick the ways you can help below, and where you can help.Become a volunteer
- Reminding people to vote:
Nicole Pohl wants to volunteer 2018-02-13 23:55:24 +0000
Help us fight the climate crisis. Let's get more Greens elected!
We need better representatives, ones that don't just pay lip service to the climate crisis. You can help our local election candidates reach thousands of voters in the year round campaign leading up to 6 May 2021
Oxfordshire Green Party is campaigning for a Green New Deal by getting more Green Party members elected at all levels of government. Already our elected Green councillors have got local councils to divest from fossil fuels, declare a climate emergency, improve cycling facilities and require 50% social housing in new developments.
We're not funded by big business or rich people, but we do have thousands of members and supporters in Oxfordshire. Will you help make a difference? Please sign up below to volunteer in any way you can. Or if you would like to speak to someone about it, please phone Kate Robinson on 07582 903996 to find how you can help, at a time that suits you.
Nicole Pohl is following this site, wanting to find out more about the Oxfordshire Green Party.