jane Wilkinson wants to volunteer 2019-11-11 09:11:13 +0000
Help us fight the climate crisis. Let's get more Greens elected!
We need better representatives, ones that don't just pay lip service to the climate crisis. You can help our local election candidates reach thousands of voters before 7 May.
Oxfordshire Green Party is campaigning for a Green New Deal by getting more Green Party members elected at all levels of government. Already our elected Green councillors have got local councils to divest from fossil fuels, declare a climate emergency, improve cycling facilities and require 50% social housing in new developments.
We're not funded by big business or rich people, but we do have thousands of members and supporters in Oxfordshire. Will you help make a difference? Please sign up below to volunteer in any way you can. Or if you would like to speak to someone about it, please phone Kate Robinson on 07582 903996 to find how you can help, at a time that suits you.
The Labour-run City Council have seized direct control of East Oxford Community Centre (EOCC) on the Cowley Road) and plan to sell off half the Community Centre site and 'improve' the rest (funded by further sell-offs; East Oxford Games Hall and the Film Oxford building).
The Centre was run by the East Oxford Community Association before the Council power-grab. The Centre is home to many local groups (including Fusion Arts & Oxford Action Resource Centre) and most nights all available rooms are booked out. Both the Games Hall and Film Oxford are also well used.
The Greens are contesting claims by Labour that they can re-provide 'improved' facilities on a site half the current size whilst incorporating those activities previously carried out in the Film Oxford building and East Oxford Games Hall.
The Greens have put forward an alternative solution - to instead develop land in nearby Cave Street for housing and instead redevelop the Community Centre land for use by social and community enterprises. This will provide MORE housing and retain the integrity of the EOCC site.113 signatures
Green Councillors are calling on the Labour-run City Council to ‘think again’ about its decision to seize direct control of East Oxford Community Centre from the Community Association and rush through a redevelopment funded by selling off the East Oxford Games Hall and Film Oxford sites.
We are calling for:
- A Centre run for the community by the community
- Improvements to the East Oxford Community Centre not to be made dependent on the closure of the Games Hall and Film Oxford.
- Proper public consultation on the future of community provision in East Oxford
jane Wilkinson signed up for driving 2013-04-18 22:50:03 +0100
When you have volunteered to help the Oxfordshire Green Party, please tell us something about your skills.
For some tasks, we need specialist skills, hence this long list.
But most tasks anyone can do, given the training we provide.Become a volunteer
jane Wilkinson signed up for UP election day help 2013-04-18 22:48:12 +0100
Let us know how you can best help on election day, 7 May 2020. Tasks include:
- Reminding people to vote:
- Knocking on the doors of people who said they will vote Green (“knocking up”).
- Telephoning people who said they would vote green.
- Helping in a committee room.
- Giving lifts to voters with mobility difficulties who are otherwise unable to travel their polling station
- Taking voter numbers at polling stations (“telling”)—many voters don’t make up their minds until they are in the polling booth. A Green rosette and a welcoming face can help persuade them. Key times include 7am-9.30am, and 5pm-8pm.
- Tallying the votes at the count, so we know where in the county there are more Green voters.
Please tick the ways you can help below, and where you can help.Become a volunteer
- Reminding people to vote:
jane Wilkinson is following this site, wanting to find out more about the Oxfordshire Green Party.