I was first elected to Oxfordshire County Council in 1997, successfully holding our first Council seat which had been held for 4 years by Caroline Lucas, and served as a County Councillor for 12 years, standing down in 2009. I was first elected as a City Councillor in 2002 serving for 8 years. Following a 2 year break I returned as a City Councillor in 2012.
I have won 6 Council elections since 1997.
I have served the people of East Oxford for more than 20 years. I am widely respected across the political spectrum and currently chair two major Council committees, Finance and Scrutiny, having been elected to these roles by Green, Labour and Lib Dem Councillors. Chairing the Scrutiny Committee means that Greens have a significant influence on Council decisions. Chairing the Finance Committee means that Greens have a direct and noticeable influence on the Council City budget.
I have a long history of community campaigning and was a founding member of Cowley Road Carnival, Low Carbon East Oxford, the East Oxford Farmers’ Market, and the local Car Club.
I live and work in my Ward and am a Director of a global sustainability consultancy.
I am is currently Leader of the City Council’s Green Councillors Group and was Deputy Lord Mayor from 2014-15.
I want to continue as a City Councillor because there is still so much to do to make Oxford a fairer and more sustainable city.
What will you do when elected?
When elected I will continue to:
- Speak up against privatisation of public services such as the NHS
- Push for more affordable homes and fairer rents
- Propose practical alternatives to Council austerity cuts
- Reduce Oxford’s carbon footprint
- Improve safety for cyclists & pedestrians
- Campaign to save community facilities
- Support small, local businesses
- Oppose new council policies that victimise boaters, buskers & the homeless
- Work to make Oxford a welcoming city for all.