Larry Sanders is the Green Party candidate to replace David Cameron in the Witney by-election.
He grew up in Brooklyn, New York, with his brother Bernie Sanders, the only openly socialist US Politician. Larry studied economics at CUNY, social work at Oxford and holds a law doctorate from Harvard.
He has lived in Oxfordshire since 1969. Summarising his career, he said:
I have been working for people with disabilities and their carers for the past 20 years based on my training in Law and Social Work. I have been:
- Chair and Legal Advisor to Oxfordshire Community Care Rights
- Lecturer in Health and Social Care Law at the Open University and Oxford Brookes
- Director of Oxfordshire Carers’ Forum
- Non-Executive Director of Oxfordshire Mental Trust
- Oxfordshire County Councillor and Member Adult Social Care Scrutiny Committee
- Chair Healthwatch Oxfordshire
- Member Advisory Group on Unsafe Discharges for Healthwatch England
- Co-Chair Oxfordshire Keep Our NHS Public
i am now the Green Party spokeperson on health.
Here is Larry talking about Oxford and the world when interviewed in 2013, when he stepped down from Oxfordshire County Council.